No matter what problem you may be experiencing with your computer, our on-campus Service Desk can help you. All laptops purchased through the WakeWare program have the convenient ability to be serviced at The Service Desk for no additional cost. Open until 1am, The Service Desk is your go-to for any hardware and software issue you may be having. Your computer freezes the night before your paper is due, no worries, just take it to The Service Desk. You are also able to receive a loaner computer at no additional fee or charge, through the WakeWare program, so you are never without a computer if it requires a repair.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Requirements
In order to support a portable learning environment, every student is required to bring a laptop to campus when entering Wake Forest. Although desktops are perfectly capable machines, laptops allow for flexibility and easy transportation to facilitate the portable learning environment of a college campus.
The minimum configuration requirements for any model computer, whether or not purchased through the WakeWare program, are listed below. Additional requirements will be posted later in the Spring.
- Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
- Processor: 2.8GHz 6th generation Intel core i5
- Memory: 8GB
- Hard Drive: 256SSD
- Operating System: OS X 10.11
- Processor: 2.7GHz dual Intel core i5 (Turbo Boost 3.1GHz)
- Memory: 16GB
- Hard Drive: 256SSD
It is strongly recommended for all BYOD devices to have some type of antivirus protection. Most antivirus vendors such as Symantec, Sophos, MacAfee, Trend Micro, and others provide free for home (non-commercial) use. Any of these products are acceptable.
For Windows devices, it is recommended to use the Windows Defender and Windows Firewall to protect your device since it comes with your Windows computer.
For Apple OS X devices, it is recommended to use Sophos as antivirus protection. Please consult the following URL for the Sophos home user version:
Assistance with BYOD’s will be available on a best-effort basis as outlined below:
- Assistance with basic configuration and general questions, for example questions regarding wireless connectivity, WFU account questions and email configuration, will be provided at The Service Desk at no charge to the students.
- Hardware repair requests will only be received Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.
- Apple, Dell, and Lenovo ThinkPad laptops can be serviced by The Service Desk at no charge for warranty repairs. Charges to students for parts and labor will apply if repairs are not under warranty. If available, a loaner computer may be provided, although the availability of a loaner computer is not guaranteed.
The Service Desk cannot repair other model computers (Acer, Toshiba, ASUS, HP, etc.)
The Service Desk will provide a list of local repair facilities in Winston-Salem. Students can also contact the vendor’s sales/support for their shipping instructions for computer repair.